Monday 4 November 2013

Napoleon Dynamite Sequence

In this task we had to shot a scene from the movie Napoleon Dynamite. Before we did this we first had to watch the clip to give us a better understanding of what to shot. Secondly we had to write the type of shots, location, and props used in each scene. Thirdly we has to draw storyboards out of each scene for evidence of us actually planning are shots and thinking about them before we go out and film them. Fourthly we went out with are planning sheets and cameras to shot are scenes, we brought the sheets with us to give us guidance on what shot type to shoot next and where. Fifthly we came back to class and uploaded the footage onto are computers. Finally individually we imported the shots in Premier and edited them together.

The storyboarding process started with me counting the number of shots used in the clip we were using and drawing them one by one on the sheet we were given. On this sheet we were told to add what kind of shot was used in a certain scene and what props were being used in them. I thought it was best not to draw stick men as real bodies show the wear the whole body is in a shot. The best thing about my storyboard is that all of them were sketched carefully and that no stickmen were used to represent characters. If I could improve one thing it would be to use full size boxes for my last 4 shots instead of fitting them all into one box.


To organise my clip I maximized the clips section to create a table for my work. In this table you can organise your clips and sequences. I moved the headings on the top to suit my best interest for example I moved the tick box which was at the very end of the screen to the front so I could the clips I wanted. Finally I made notes about each clip giving a description and what needed to be done. 

Working in a team was great for me because it gave me the opportunity to show my talents and to work with new people. I was able to find out my group members weaknesses and strengths when it comes to media. Finally to found what kind work standard comes back from my group which in the end was excellent. In the end we used one of the female group members documentation as she had the clearest/neatest handwriting and also the best drawings. When filming we were faced with many problems for example finding locations to shot and interruptions from other students needing to walk past are shooting locations. If I was shooting again I would be more confident when speaking my lines and also use my surroundings to the fullest potential for example open the lockers like they do in the real clip.



    
As you can see the main differences between the compositions of the shots is that our video is shot in better quality and the characters using mobile phone while the original shots is using a telephone. I am happy with the quality, framing, and distance of the shot as it matches the original as we intended.
This shot is a Mid shot with shooting the actor waist upwards. I am very pleased with this shot as Alex followed my instructions where to stand and it worked very well.


The Main difference between the composition of the shots is that the quality from are shot is better and that in are shot we don't have a wall behind us. The two actors are facing in a 90 degrees angle which matches with the original shot. This shot is a Mid shot/Two shot filmed from the waist up. I am pleased because my group listen to me when I said the Principle is on the left and Pablo is on the right.  

The only difference between the composition of the shots are that my shot was filmed in better quality than the original. This is a Mid shot/Two shot filmed from the trousers up which matches the original shot. I am glad to say that my group took my advice to go to the gym lockers and film this clip here, which worked out perfectly.



Finally the main differences between the composition of the shots are that my shot was filmed in better quality and that my shot was filmed outside the school gym instead of outside someone's house. This is a Long shot as it catches me and Alex's complete bodies from the toes up which matches the original shot. I would like to thank Alex for lending us his bike as the shot wouldn't be what it is without him.

My Video of Napoleon Dynamite


No comments:

Post a Comment